Jennifer Macaulay and Meredith Farkas have both mentioned Bloglines taking a ridiculous amount of time to display new posts from their blogs. I took note of this when they brought it up, but hadn’t noticed any problems myself until the last week or so. Sometimes, Bloglines doesn’t show a new post from davidrothman.net for two days. Two days!
This is just rotten. I keep a Google Reader account and run Abilon on my home desktop computer for testing purposes, and they both updated flawlessly. It isn’t my feed, it’s Bloglines that has the problem.
I’m familiar and comfortable with the Bloglines interface. I like it better than that of any other web-based aggregator. Unfortunately, this seems to be a little like affection for a beautiful car with an engine that sometimes won’t start. Timely updating is as basic to an aggregator as a running engine is to a car. Bloglines is broken, and I’m tired of it.
I’ve switched to Google Reader. If you still use Bloglines, I encourage you to do the same.
To the folks at Bloglines: If you let me know when you fix this problem with your otherwise great service, I’ll be happy to try it again.