MLA 2008 – My Schedule

Reading this from T. Scott’s blog made me feel a lot better:

“We feel like this every year,” I tell Lynn. “In the last couple of days before the MLA meeting we’re completely stressed out and we don’t think there’s any way that we can get everything done that needs doing. But we always end up having a great time…”

Thanks, Scott- I needed that.

Here are the three times I’ll be speaking:

• Web 2.0 for Professional and Clinical Productivity (Co-presenting with Patricia F. Anderson)
    Session Title: Evidence Base: Web 2.0 for Professional and Clinical Productivity
    Session Type: Section Program
    Session Start: 5/20/2008 4:30:00 PM
    Session End: 5/20/2008 6:00:00 PM
    Location: Regency Ballroom A
    Description: The Lecture on the Evidence Base focuses on the evidence base underlying clinical practice including its content, organization and its use. This year’s proposal is to bring in one or two experts on the emerging Web 2.0 technology and how it is being applied in healthcare related educational and clinical settings to improve the productivity of professional and clinical staff. Librarians need to see how these emerging technologies can affect health care settings in the future to know how to train and supports students and staff who will be working in these settings in the future.
  • Session Title: Plenary Session IV: Web 2.0 Tools for Librarians: Description, Demonstration, Discussion and Debate
    I’m one of four presenters (others are Melissa Rethlefsen, Amanda Etches-Johnson, and Bart Ragon- all of whom kick butt)
    Session Start: 5/21/2008 9:00:00 AM
    Session End: 5/21/2008 12:00:00 PM
    Location: Grand Ballroom
    It’ll be Webcast(ed?) live.
  • Session Title: Not-So Dangerous Liaisons: Best Practices for Library Liaison Work (CE801)
    (Presenting with Michelle Kraft and Molly Knapp from 3:00 to 4:00)
    Session Type: Meeting Symposia
    Session Start: 5/21/2008 12:30:00 PM
    Session End: 5/21/2008 5:00:00 PM
    Location: Columbus ABCD
    Description: Many health sciences libraries have initiated or are planning liaison programs to help direct public services efforts more efficiently and with greater authority. As these liaison programs take form, valuable lessons are being learned about interacting effectively with academic departments. Communication, collaboration, and instruction all play a role in being an effective liaison. This symposium will address the various facets of liaison work among librarians, both academic and hospital-based, including methods for initiating or improving liaison programs, effective communication and instruction techniques, improved understanding of web 2.0 technologies as they apply to liaison work, and methods for evaluating the success of library liaison programs. Participants will have an opportunity to interact with panels composed of participants in successful liaison programs and to discuss how they might build a program at their own institution, utilizing some of the lessons from these panelists.

I’ve been working on a tentative schedule using Google Calendar, but I suspect that that some plans may suddenly change. That’s okay- change is good.

I won’t know a whole lot of people at MLA 2008, so please say hello if you go to any of these sessions! I’ll look pretty much like this, but with a more confused expression on my face. 🙂

Comments are closed.